Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I recently completed my translation of a chapter from a multivolume work about the town of Vytegra.  The translation process was both challenging and fulfilling.  I had to learn to strike a balance between staying faithful to the original Russian text and making it flow well in English.  I learned a lot about the history of Vytegra from deciphering and analyzing the text, and I gained a greater appreciation for the places I visited during my stay there.
Since the translation is too long to post here, if you would like to read it, you may email me at:
pingston@umich.edu
(As soon as it appears on the Vytegra website, I will post the link)
Since the trip, I have had much time to reflect on our journey, which was a life-changing experience for me. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about Russia. I feel myself being drawn back to Vytegra, and I have made the decision to participate in RUSLAN ASB again next year. I would really like to do a research project on the local healthcare system in the town, especially as it pertains to mental health and attitudes surrounding mental illness in the provinces.

Россия, я скучаю по тебе!

No comments:

Post a Comment