Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Alexander Sversky Monastery memories


One of the most interesting stops we’ve made so far has to be the Alexander Sversky Monastery, and by most interesting I mean simply amazing. We learned so much about the history of the monastery as well as some history and information about the Russian Orthodox faith. If I remember correctly, the monastery was originally constructed in the 16th century (some of the original building still exists today), and just to be in the presence of such a building was incredible. To think that this building was standing before my home nation even existed is quite humbling. These walls have seen years pass by like days and been around for countless events that have changed the world. I found myself wondering what the world would look like 500 years in the future… Will the walls built in today’s age still stand? And if so, how will the world outside of them have changed? Below is a photo of the first part of the monastery, inside of which leads to one of the most beautiful collection of frescoes I have ever seen. Literally every wall was covered with gorgeous, colorful paintings depicting the story of the Christ. I have also attached the best photo I took of the inside of the monastery, and you can see just how lovely it actually is.




The beauty of the paintings in the monastery was certainly awe-inspiring, but by far the most amazing part of the trip there was being performed for by four local men who sang some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard. I luckily caught this recording on video, though the sound from my camera microphone does not do the performance justice. In real life the acoustics of the monastery allowed you to almost feel the voices echo in your bones, in your soul. It truly was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever heard in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment