Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Russian Craft

Russian lace-making is an art reserved for those with great patience and focus. I thought that the lace weaving activity was very culturally immersive. What they considered to be crafts, I considered masterpieces. I was very impressed by even the smallest crafts in the learning center. It was great to see how much importance the community placed on their traditional arts and their continuation, and I was very happy to find out that any child in the town could learn how to weave lace for free. And it wasn’t just here; between the youth center, the craft center, and the museums, it was obvious to me that the people here are close-knit and supportive, and generous with their time and efforts. It was inspiring to see people genuinely care so much for one another. I hope that I can bring some of that attitude back with me and do as the Russians do.



No comments:

Post a Comment